- Attended Juneau Douglas High School
- Lives in Juneau, Alaska
- My work is done. Lifetime hunting and fishing license
- ☂ Caregiving. ♎ Legal assistant. ✓ Bookkeeping,
trustee. ✇ Data communications. ✆ Telecommunications.
☇ Electronics. ♆ Radio Maintenance. ¢ Clerk.
☿ International Morse Code.
- 1970 to 2015.
- Juneau, Alaska
|| P.O. Box
21693; Juneau, Alaska 99802.
|| +1.907.586.1723. Home, voice,
msg. Fax with prior arrangement. No texts.
|✉ E Mail
||I do not consent to use of contact data obtained
here in predictive dialers; for robocalls; for soliciting; for
billing; or for unsolicited bulk messages; whether by voice, texting,
e-mail, postal mail, or any other means; or to transfer to any other
party for such use.
- Uncle Walt with the keys.
- ☂ Caregiver.
- I was the primary caregiver for my father, Douglas Gregg, until
he moved to the Juneau Pioneer Home. Dad passed away in July 2015.
Before then I helped Dad care for his second wife Anne, who moved to
the Pioneer Home several years ago.
- ♎ Legal assistant; ✓ Bookkeeper and trustee.
- After my mother Lily Gregg died in 1992, I became bookkeeper and
legal assistant at Dad's law office and served as trustee of a trust
established by Mom's Will.
- ✇ Data communications and ✆ Telecommunications.
- Before the internet, I worked for the USDA Forest Service. There,
I designed and helped build a high speed data communications network
linking the Alaska Regional and Forest Supervisor's offices to the
Big Computer at the Fort Collins Computer Center. It was the third
largest Univac installation in the world and had the most users. High
speed then was 4.8 kilobits a second. Dialup internet is 10 times
faster. I also worked with computerized office telephone
- ☇ Communications and Electronics.
- I helped the Forest Service build the first mountaintop two-way
VHF FM radio repeater system in Southeast Alaska. Fortunately, there
were competent people to handle the mechanical side of things. There
were dispatchers in Ketchikan, Petersburg, Sitka, and Anchorage. You
could stand on South Franklin Street in Juneau and speak with the
Sitka dispatcher via repreaters at Windfall mountain south of Juneau,
Moore Mountain across from Tenekee, and Elephant Mountain near
- ♆ Radio Maintenance.
- Previously we used high frequency signal sideband radios,
primarily on the 2512 kHz cannery
channel, 4668 kHz aircraft channel,
and the Forest Service's channel. These probably became boat anchors.
However, I still have my vacuum tube checker.
- ¢ Clerk.
- My first job was as a sales clerk in my grandmother Inez Gregg's
- ☿ International Morse Code.
- Before there was texting, there was Morse Code. I learned it to
pass my general class amateur radio exam (KL7HLP). I also wrote a
program so my CP/M Kaypro could copy code.
- ☛ Miscellaneous
- I live in Juneau near my sisters. I enjoy family gatherings,
walking, shortwave listening, music, reading, playing piano, and
tinkering with computer and website coding. I have done elementary
programming in Fortran (IBM 360); BASIC (CP/M MBASIC, IBM GWBASIC,
OS/2 QBASIC); IBM Rexx (most platforms); and have, when unavoidable,
the web. NoScript, an add-on for the Firefox browser, is the best
invention since sliced bread. NoScript. Don't browse the web without
- Bragging Rights
- I have six nieces and newphews, many of whom have their own
- Juneau Douglas High School
- Within four years of February 29, 1956.
- This site
- Contributor to
- Gregg Family Page -
Site: gregg .juneau .ak .us.
- My bookmarks at
Pinboard.in - Site: pinboard.in /u:WaltMG
- Walt Gregg's Website -
my old pages
- Related Links
- Someday, perhaps, there might be a link here to a page of related
links. I can hardly put them here. This page is already far too
Walt .Gregg .Juneau .AK .US,
Personal Profile (Mar. 2016) (available at Walt .Gregg .Juneau .AK .US). ©
W. Gregg 2016; CreativeCommons.org /licenses /by-nc-nd /4.0.